Couscous With Summer Vegetables
This Moroccan dish can serve as a complete meal.
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
NUMBER OF SERVINGS: 8
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Hot red pepper sauce
1 1/2 cups couscous
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the celery and carrots and sautÃ©, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini and squash and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 to 4 minutes longer. Add the basil with the salt, pepper, and a few dashes of hot red pepper sauce and toss to mix.
3. Add the couscous to the saucepan and, with a wooden spoon, gently mix with the vegetables to coat the couscous grains well.
4. Pour the stock into the saucepan and gently mix. Bring the stock to a boil, then cover the saucepan and remove from the heat.
5. Allow the couscous to stand until the couscous grains are tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. With a fork, lightly fluff up the couscous to separate the grains.