Duck with couscous
For the duck:
2 duck breasts
oil to film pan
salt and pepper to season breasts
1 oz. truffle honey
½ teaspoon fennel pollen (optional)
1/4 cup chicken stock
Two hours before serving time:
1. Score fatty side of duck breasts with a sharp knife, making diagonal markings. Season with salt & pepper. Place skin-side down in a saute pan over medium heat, allowing fat to render. Periodically drain pan, leaving approximately a Tablespoon of pan drippings.
2. Continue cooking until most fat has been rendered and skin has become crispy.
3. Refrigerate cooked breasts until you are ready to serve.
At serving time:
4. Place the breasts back in the pan, skin side down, and reheat. When hot, flip them over and let meat cook over medium heat (5-8) minutes. Remove from pan.
5. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup chicken stock. Add 1oz honey. Add pinch (1/2 teaspoon) fennel pollen.
6. Let sauce reduce by one-third and swirl in pat of butter. Pour over breasts.
For the couscous:
1 cup couscous
¼ pound string beans, steamed and sliced diagonally
¼ pound baby carrots, steamed and sliced into rounds
3 TBSp. Crystallized ginger
1. Follow directions on package for preparing couscous, using chicken stock instead of water. Cover and set aside.
2. At serving time: re-heat vegetables in 1 tbsp. butter and two tablespoons of chicken stock. When hot, add to couscous., and fluff with fork. Stir in 2 Tbsp. crystalized ginger.
3. Garnish ducks with remaining ginger pieces